Wednesday 23 March 2016

Comic making and the digital format PNG nightmare.

The first panel of a comic that I am beginning to work on. I have a lot to work on. My drawing skills not least of all... But I hope to upload more some time soon. I want to tell the story right now but if I did that there would be no point in making the comic, so I must exercise a little restraint. But expect stuff inspired by my frequently read blogspot pages, including the brilliant Goblin Punch, Games With Others, False Machine, and other weird goodness like KSBD.



I should have waited until I had at least a whole page I suppose, but I'm impatient. I'm still trying to refine a kind of style, so I may vary it a bit until I've found one I consistently like. Drawn using a rotring 0.2 grade fine liner, a pentel brush pen, and coloured using Games Workshop wash inks, because I have no others...


I mean, consider these two doodles. Same subject matter, different styles. I can't decide which one I prefer. Eh. I mean, there is a distinct difference between the two, but which to use? Perhaps I'll just draw it all twice. (Also please ignore my complete inability to format pictures for internet purposes. I am not proud of myself.)

There is a certain boldness to digital colouring that I can't seem to capture when colouring with inks or watercolour, but then there is a lot more texture and interest with hand-coloured images. Hmmm...

I recently got a wacom in order to get cracking on some digital colouring, inspired by people like Brandon Graham. More specifically, his continuation of Rob Liefeld's Prophet- a graphic novel he's written and co-drawn with a bunch of other extremely talented artists, to which I can only aspire. By the way, if you haven't heard of it, I can only recommend it, and desperately so. It is brilliant.


No comments:

Post a Comment